Among the most beautiful emeralds and remarkable in size, it must be remembered first of all that which is part of the Vienna Crown Treasury, weighing 2205 carats. Another, more than notable and well-known, is the one possessed by the Duke of Devonshire, England; Such gem is not cut and is of natural prismatic shape; weighing 1383.95 carats (according to the Barriga Villalba 1225 carats) and it is a beautiful colour. It comes from the Muzo mine and was bought by Don Pedro II, the emperor of Brazil, and donated to the aforementioned Duke of Devonshire.
Patricia is a large hexagonal, 632-carat weight perfectly shaped emerald crystal, discovered in Chivor’s Colombian mines in December 1920 by a miner named Justo Daza, an old man still called Uncle Justo; The emerald is preserved at the American Museum of Natural History in New York.
The Tsar of Russia also had a beautiful 24-carat weight emerald, in addition to others, although less important.
Of great beauty, it was known to be the gem emerald of Napoleon because it was given by this person in 1800 to Giuseppina Beauharnais, weighing 24.38 carats and later acquired the ownership of the Paris jeweler M. Mauboussin.
The British Museum in London counts several beautiful and exquisite specimens. In the collection of the Vienna Museum of Art History, according to Hermann, there was a huge, 2680-carat South-American specimen cut to the use of an ointment jar by Dionisio Misseroni in 1642 for the House of Absburg; It seems that such an exceptional piece belonged to Charles of Burgundy the Daredevil.
In India the Dakka Nababbo was in possession of a flat-shaped emerald, measuring 3.2 x 2.7 cm, on whose surface was engraved a verse of the Koran.
The five stones were the five stones that Hernan Cortés, the most famous of the Spanish conquistadores, upon returning from having conquered the kingdom of the Aztecs offered to his fiancée, with great disappointment with Queen Isabella of Portugal (1503-1539) who so wished to possess them; These stones were cut in strange forms: a bell on the edge of which was marked “Blessed is the one who has created you.
The shutter was a beautiful pearl; another rose-shaped stone; a third in the form of a horn; A fourth in the form of fish with gold eyes and finally the fifth, the most beautiful, dug in the shape of a cup with gold edges and supported by pure gold legs and with the Latin inscription ‘Inter natos mulierum non surrexit major’.
Always among the treasures torn from Cortes to the Spaniards, a precious specimen in the natural state, consisting of a lime-shaped limestone block of about 30 cm high, in which ten crystal crystals of marvelous intense green coloured emeralds are planted, each by measurement from about 2 cm to 5-6 cm long. And from 1 cm to 2-2.5 cm wide.
This specimen, whose story begins around 1520, fell in time into the hands of Charles V; He then went to the House of Abschers while the Emperor Francesco Giuseppe of Austria, who in 1900 gave the precious blockade to the Vienna Museum. At present it is a specimen of the most beautiful, if not the only one existing in the world. During the Second World War it was hidden in Salzburg’s Salgem mine.
It speaks of a magnificent emerald than the day of the coronation. George III of England broke away from the royal crown falling to the ground. This incident was considered to be a bad omen; In fact, under the reign of George III, North America broke away from England.
The Gellatly collection of the American Museum of Natural History (USA) includes a large emerald cup obtained from a single Colombian crystal and called Emperor Jehangir.The legend has it that Jehangir, the conqueror of the world, used to drink wine with his companions in large golden cups; His favourite bride Nurjehan while reproaching him for using cups equal to his subjects, offered him the above-mentioned emerald cup. Jehangir while noting the lesser capacity of the cup, was very pleased!
Among the joys of the Russian Diamond Treasury forms one of the largest emeralds in the world called Kaleom’n. Weighing around 2226 grams, it was found in 1834 in the mines of Sretensk; Ivanovich Kakovin the director of Jekaterinburg Cutting Board, fell in love with this emerald and many other stones hid it, but it was discovered and to avoid punishment he committed suicide. Through various subsequent events and vicissitudes the Kaleom’n emerald in 1935 became part of the Russian Diamond Treasury.
Another emerald of considerable measure is preserved in the Museum of the Great Serraglio of Constantinople; Weighing about 1400 carats comes from Sinai, in Upper Egypt and is applied as a decoration of a Gran Sultan dress.
A dazzling gold and platinum necklace with diamonds and emeralds is one that is part of the Treasury of the Crown of Persia and called Chamar-Al-Saltanè; There are 57 emeralds embedded of exceptional size, of various shapes and of wonderful beauty, constituting one of the favourite jewels of Empress Farah Diba.